If you ever attended the Grace Family Church Van Dyke Campus, you most likely saw me standing at the main staircase in the lobby. I get a lot of playful jabs about “Stand on this dot,” “These tiles have your footprints,” and “Are you holding up the stairs?”
Honestly, it is a great compliment. When we opened the sanctuary in 2006, I was very intentional in the last days of construction to find the best place for me to stand. I wanted a place that gave me easy access to the sanctuary, high visibility for people coming in and the ability to have a pulse of what was happening on campus. This spot afforded me a great amount of “wins” in each of these areas.
I see a lot. Which prompts me to write Round Two of Observations from the Stairs:
- With a strong tint in our foyer glass, many people use the walk up time to check out their hair and appearance. Looking good folks!
- I am continuously amazed at our volunteers. Greeting, shaking hands and just smiling makes a huge difference when coming to church. Thank you all of our Blue Shirt Teams on all of our campuses – you make an impact.
- If you wear a tie, you are more than likely a guest. Thanks for joining us for the day!
- So many people say “Hi” or “Hello” back when you greet them. It is interesting when someone doesn’t. It is like a far away land is calling them and they just stare off in the distance.
- Kids love to climb stairs. I am good with that as long as someone is with them.
- Yes, you can get sunburned in the lobby if the blinds are up and the sun in your sight line. I tell people it makes me look like an angel.
- Two most popular questions – “Where is the bathroom?” and “Is this the sanctuary?”
- People are thirsty…many bring drinks with them to service. I am all for it (since I usually have a bottle of water with me.) The part that is hard for me to stomach is Diet Coke at 9:15am…wow.
- Our Preschool ministry is tremendous – I can see parents coming with their kids across the courtyard and those volunteers and staff are always so welcoming and smiling. Love that!
- Grateful for Scottie and Sheryl – two regular volunteers who show up and sit in our lobby ready to help those watching from the lobby. You rock!
- Love the new configuration of the Buddy Brew Coffee area – more central and efficient.
- Appreciate the parents who bring their children to the lobby when their child gets noisy or antsy during service. Please have a free coffee or tea on me…it really makes a difference for those in the sanctuary.
- It is a staff “secret” that me being that consistent in one spot is actually allows any of them to have a first place to look for me.
- Yes, I watch the service on the Lobby TV when I do announcements in a service so I know when to come back in.
- If you stand with me long enough at the stairs, I will ask you to help me greet people arriving for service.
- I have seen some very talented fathers carrying a diaper bag, the baby in a carrier and smiling the whole way into the lobby…way to go Dads!
- And finally…when no one is in the lobby…usually before everyone arrives…the area by the stairs is a great place to sing…know your best song and belt it out!