I am writing the day after I had inguinal hernia surgery performed on me. It sounds rather horrific but basically I had a small opening in my abdomen that needed repair. It wasn’t caused by too much exercise or excessive strain in that area – from what I understand it happens. If you are wondering why I didn’t include any pictures, it is simple. I don’t do selfies and me in a hospital gown, cap and booties should never be captured in a picture.
So what can I say about the experience. Let me share some random thoughts.
- God has created an amazing thing in the human body. Although it is sore and tight from the surgery, it is so cool that it is already beginning to heal.
- Less than a day ago, 3 rods were inserted into my body. What is painful today will bring health in the future.
- It’s amazing how much we use our abdominal muscles to do pretty much everything.
- I just coughed – used them again.
- I will not be able to work out for a while – that just stinks.
- I walked around the house a few times – I am blessed on such a cold day to have a home.
- I looked at a bunch of pictures on my computer – I am blessed with such an amazing family and tremendous friends.
- Grateful for the ability to eat, drink – had to fast before and took a while after – some people need help doing this.
- All my kids came by to see me and help their mom last night…meant a lot.
- Coughed again – love them abdominals!
Not a profound entry…but looking back on my observations, I think it was. The pain from the surgery will subside in the next few days. My range of actions will be limited for a few days. What is left are three small scars. But look what I have beside that – a healthy, strong body, ready to do whatever I or the Lord needs me to do. I have a great home. I have enjoyed some tremendous life experiences. And the people in my life are huge to me. Finally, I have abdominals – which will remind me to stay humble.